Saturday, May 10, 2008

Update

Hello Everyone,

I assume everyone received their CD’s in the mail. Please remember that I need everyone to start becoming familiar with the contents of the CD, especially the GAP training and the Redeemer Drama. I had asked that each of you send me an email to let me know that you have gotten it. To date I have heard from exactly NONE of you. The only one that I am reasonably sure got his was Stephen, and that is because I left it with the secretary. The main reason I am harping on this, is that I found out this week that one of the group leaders was not getting my emails, they were being sent to his junk mail box. I guess that is appropriate, though I hope you don’t think this stuff junk. Anyway, I would really like to hear some feed back from each of you group leaders and the individuals.

Secondly I would like to ask a favor. I need each of the church groups to obtain a working boom box with a cd player and several sets of extra batteries, for use at the ministry sites. You will be free to take this back home with you following the project, should you choose to do so. Please I need your help here.

Thirdly, I am including some cultural tips that Paul has passed along:

Here is a list of Do’s and Don’ts for Ministry Sites
1. Do try to engage people. Talk about family, hobbies, sports, and culture. Sit in listen.Do not talk about politics! Change the subject if it comes up. Do not be in a rush.
2. When using a translator, do talk directly to the person you are talking to.Do not look at the translator when you are talking.
3. Do “kiss” people when you greet them. Do not avoid “kissing”, especially people you get to know.
4. In the nursing home, ask permission to enter a patient’s room? “Permiso?”Do not wake a patient that is sleeping.
5. Be sensitive to the schedule of those you are working with.

Next, I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of you regarding Crew Managers positions. I have 4 so far that have stepped up. I still need two more, especially those that I have already contacted. Please help us out with this.

And lastly, we are about a month away from departure. I would like to encourage everyone to ask questions and to be diligent to the pre project study as well as these emails that I have been sending out. Thanks again for listening.

See you soon,

Jim

No comments: